Types of Deputies

Are there different types of Deputies?

Yes, there are two different types of Deputies.  A Deputy may file to be responsible for a person lacking capacity’s Property and Affairs, Personal Welfare, or both.  Mind at Ease provides services for both of these orders.

What does a Property and Affairs Deputy do?

The Court of Protection will determine the scope of responsibility for a Property and Affairs Deputy.  This type of Deputyship covers all real and personal property.  In other words, as a Property and Affairs Deputy, you may be responsible for a person lacking mental capacity’s home, jewellery, and money from income, investments, and savings.  Property and Affairs Deputies may also be responsible for all expenditures made on behalf of the person lacking mental capacity.

What does a Personal Welfare Deputy do?

A Personal Welfare Deputy does exactly what the title insinuates, he or she is responsible for the person lacking capacity’s personal welfare.  When the Court of Protection grants a Deputy a Personal Welfare Deputyship Order, the Court will dictate the Deputy’s responsibilities.

In addition to a person lacking mental capacity’s general care and well-being, a Personal Welfare Deputy may be responsible for decisions regarding any of the following:

  • Healthcare
  • Housing
  • Clothing
  • Food